I had a wonderful day today. I am not naturally disciplined or inclined to live by a schedule, but it was really nice to start our family's new routine today. I did not sleep much last night at all. I tend to be somewhat of a night owl, and Lyndie and I have been playing for the past two weeks, so my body wasn't quite aware of its new wakeup time yet. Unfortunately, I didn't get to sleep until almost 3. I got kind of used to functioning on little sleep while I was working third shift this past year, so getting up this morning was not as difficult as it could have been. I got up and kissed Lyn goodbye and sat in the living room and starting checking email. I realized that I had just jumped into my day without spending time with God yet, so I stopped and read in Numbers. I started a plan to read through the Bible in 90 days and stopped for no good reason a while ago and decided to pick up where I left off. (For the record, I have read the Bible since then, just not on this plan)
I was so thankful for the opportunity to just sit on the couch and eat some oatmeal and drink coffee and read my Bible and for life to feel a little more sane. Sadie started getting restless and was losing her pacifier every five minutes after a while, so I got in bed with her (our bed not her crib) and finished my reading and spent some time praying. I am so excited about teaching her about Jesus and teaching all of the cool stories in the Bible. I prayed for the Schills, the Brockmanns, and the Hodges that God would draw their children to Himself and that He would use them to teach their kids about His love.
I never would have thought that I would feel so passionate about children (I know for a fact that I said on numerous occasions that I would work with any age group except children), but I have enjoyed so much the opportunity to pray for and plan for those kids' futures at dcf. I am currently working on a handbook of policies for dcf to use in training volunteers who work with kids and it has been a daunting task to say the least. There are so many things to consider. The other day I had to take a break from working because I was starting to feel overwhelmed with the responsibility. I was really thankful for Lyndie when she was quick to remind me that we don't have to do things as big or as fancy as other churches do, and that it is my job to figure out what it looks like at dcf and not feel pressured to copy what other churches are doing.
God has been so good to me and constantly reminds me of His love for me. I was reminded today of stupid it is to question and distrust a God that has already done so much for us. I had a blast today playing with Sadie, working and cooking. I got our elders' meeting, lunch plans with someone from dcf and coffee with two folks who visited dcf, so tomorrow is another full day but I am already looking forward to all that God has in store.
Monday, August 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment